Where to find Sudden Strike 3 modding tools?

Forum für Modifikationen.
Antworten
dodgevipergts

Where to find Sudden Strike 3 modding tools?

Beitrag von dodgevipergts »

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get the Sudden Strike 3 modding tools from? They where on the Fireglow website and sust3.de apprently, but now both sites are dead.

So can anyone tell me where to find the modding tools or can upload them here.

Thanks in advance.
dodgevipergts

Re: Where to find Sudden Strike 3 modding tools?

Anybody got the tools? Nobody mod SS3 here anymore?
sPlizi
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von sPlizi »

If you are interested, maybe I can try and find them on my old drives. Post here, or send PM!

I'll try to remember to check here daily. I notice that the site that used to have them is now offline.
dodgevipergts

Thanks. It would be greatly appreciated if you could find them.
sPlizi
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von sPlizi »

Map Editor -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kah3f62yg2jd2 ... r.zip?dl=0

This is the "Last Stand" Version of the map Editor. Should be working from the get go. Inside, there is an object editor, but it is wrong, it's just the standard Desc-Editor. I suppose it works with SS3 1.4 and 1.5.

Object-Editor -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyl23opcsidtf ... r.zip?dl=0

This is the real deal. I hope I am not infringing any copyright, but since this was hosted before on the web, I am almost positive I am not.
Anyway, this version will allow you to import .X files into the game. You need to edit the Objecteditor.ini file and remove the ";" before each line, so it can read the files. I recommend you to unpack every single ".pack" file with winrar, and set the path in object editor accordingly, for example: Unpack decals.pack to /Media and set the ObjectEditor.ini like this:

[Mounts]
Decals=Media/Decals

This way you can edit freely all files, while being able to load them with ObjectEditor. You may want to do the same with the "SS3.ini" , so your game also reads from the folder(s) instead.

When it comes to model hierarchy in .X, I will be honest, I am a noob. I used kw.X-porter for 3d max ( http://mjblosser.com/kw-x-port-for-3ds-max/ ), exported as text, and all the stuff was trial and error for me. I looked mainly at the original ".mdl" files, which you can't import, and tried to mimic what was needed in my own models. I can try to help, feel free to ask any questions, but keep in mind that I have limited knowledge.

It's too bad that most of the active modders of this game seem to have left and there is little to no info around, besides this forum. Honestly, the game does not make it any easier, but we can't ask that much from a game that seems to have been left in middle of development. If 7 years later someone still wants to play SS3, I can only hope that sometime, some company picks up whats left and develop a worthy sequel.
dodgevipergts

Cheers. This should be useful for setting new locators on objects.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Well, some of us keep popping back in. I can provide a Blender template for exporting models for the game, a tank, helicopter and ship set up in Blender 2.49.

I am also trying to figure out how to manipulate the .desc files. Getting a helicopter to drop off troops is easy, I just made a copy of the parachute model, renamed it, re-skinned it as completely transparent and then repacked everything, then designated specific helicopter borne troops with the new parachute. The troops now appear to jump from the helicopter. The problem however, is that the .desc files do not allow for aircraft to dip low to the ground before dropping their cargo (SSRW etc allowed for this) so the only workaround is to have helicopters fly very low anyway. It isn't perfect but it looks ok.

I also managed a workaround for anti aircraft ships. I created a multi turreted ship as a ground AA unit but limited its movement to water only. Works ok, not perfect but for all intents and purposes its fine.

So modding is still happening, just more slowly than it used to.
sPlizi
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von sPlizi »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Well, some of us keep popping back in. I can provide a Blender template for exporting models for the game, a tank, helicopter and ship set up in Blender 2.49.

I am also trying to figure out how to manipulate the .desc files. Getting a helicopter to drop off troops is easy, I just made a copy of the parachute model, renamed it, re-skinned it as completely transparent and then repacked everything, then designated specific helicopter borne troops with the new parachute. The troops now appear to jump from the helicopter. The problem however, is that the .desc files do not allow for aircraft to dip low to the ground before dropping their cargo (SSRW etc allowed for this) so the only workaround is to have helicopters fly very low anyway. It isn't perfect but it looks ok.

I also managed a workaround for anti aircraft ships. I created a multi turreted ship as a ground AA unit but limited its movement to water only. Works ok, not perfect but for all intents and purposes its fine.

So modding is still happening, just more slowly than it used to.
Slowly is an euphemism :P. But then again, the company disappeared and the tools were not actually available to all. Plus documentation, if any, vanished along with their forum.

Also, maybe you can answer this, since you seem to have experience with the desc editor:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but both desc or object editor are missing some fields which I believe are of importance. In most of the ground vehicles, if not all, since that was mainly what I have worked with, you get two entries which are <PriorityTable and <TargetPriorities> that do not appear in any of the desc/object editor versions. I don't know if it is relevant for you anyway, but there might lie the fact why you had trouble with AA and ships.

To my understanding these define the priorities of guns for different types of target. I believe those are hardcoded in the game, but you might be able to set up an experimental map and check which types correspond to what. (something along "Men" "soft" "House" "etc"). Here, planes or other air vehicles might be the reason some guns refused to work. You not only have to set <TargetPriorities> by what I believe are weights, but you might have to decypher what the PriorityTable Entries are, since I haven't yet, nor I have enough time, at least for now.

A few notes:
-It is a huge source of bugs. I ran into it as I was trying to add a functioning AA vehicle, but I was taking as a "base" .desc file a normal tank .desc. Since AA vehicles have different target priorities because they need to target airplanes, everytime the vehicle changed from ground to AA mode the game crashed. And since don't know how to look into dump files generated by SS3, it was trial and error until I figured out that was the issue. I suspect that there might be some oddities laying around as sometimes I have strange crashes out of nowhere.

-It is possible there that you can fix the ever annoying AI bug that makes every unit of yours focus on shooting a house/bunker instead of all the troops standing in the open.

Anyway, goodluck! I'll try and remember to login and check your progress!
Antworten

Zurück zu „Sudden Strike 3 Mods“