SS3 Modding: Tutorial 1. Programs.

Modding, Map Editor und Scripte.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

SS3 Modding: Tutorial 1. Programs.

Beitrag von Herr_today »

First and foremost buy Sudden Strike 3. Sales profits still go to Fireglow who deserve our heartfelt thanks for the series of games that they produced and our hopes that someday, one day, they will see a benefit in developing another Sudden Strike game. Sudden Strike 4 would be very welcome! Sudden Strike 3 can be purchased from a variety of places such as Amazon and Play.com. Its well and truly worth it!

Tutorial 1.

Obtaining the programs required for modding Sudden Strike 3.

A list of the main tools and links: Probably better to install and get each program working in the same order as I have posted here.

1. Blender 2.49 (A 3d editing software with direct.x export):

Youtube full installation tutorial by Scott Engert with links here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9to_JC99n4
This is a basic installation guide and also shows the very basics of setting Blender up and how to create basic models.

Step 1: Download Blender for your particular computer type and preference here: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/
Follow the setup procedures. Blender will point you to the other setup requirements as it installs. It's fairly easy to do and the installer takes you to the necessary pages. Any problems, please ask.

2. Total Commander:

A multi tool that will allow you to put models and textures into SS3 directories without having to spend time packing and unpacking them. This tool will save you hours of work.

Step.1 Locate the download and install it from here: http://www.ghisler.com/

Step.2 Its probably a good idea to create a folder on your desktop to put all of the quick links and shortcuts to the necessary programs so you can easily open them without cluttering your desktop with icons.

3. Sudden Strike 3: Modding Tools

The object editor required for making new models, created from the direct.x models exported from programs such as Blender and 3ds Max are here: http://www.stragiegamer.de/index.php?downloads-13

Download and install into the same directory as your Sudden Strike 3 Editor.

4. Initialising the Object Editor

The object editor will not work immediately. You will have problems trying to load and save models. The reason is that the .ini file does not contain the appropriate directory addresses. The good news is that this is as easy to fix as "open with notepad, cut and paste, close and save".

Find the file named: "ObjectEditor.ini". Open with Notepad and ensure it contains the following:

[Settings]
FitToScreen = 1

[Mounts]
Decals=Media/Decals.pack
Descs=Media/Descs.pack
MapTextures=Media/MapTextures.pack
Models=Media/Models.pack
ModelTextures=Media/ModelTextures.pack
Particles=Media/Particles.pack
Profiles=Media/Profiles.pack
Sounds=Media/Sounds.pack

To enable the game and editors to read models, textures, sounds etc from folders rather than .pack files, use something like 7zip to unpack all of the game .pack files into their respective folders in the Media directory, then remove the .pack from the Mounts endings so they read:

[Mounts]
Decals=Media/Decals
Descs=Media/Descs
MapTextures=Media/MapTextures
Models=Media/Models
ModelTextures=Media/ModelTextures
Particles=Media/Particles
Profiles=Media/Profiles
Sounds=Media/Sounds

Now save the file. You should now be able to load up the game models.
Zuletzt geändert von Herr_today am 06.05.2014, 02:35, insgesamt 5-mal geändert.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Re: SS3 Modding: Tutorial 1. Programs.

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Tutorial 1.

Obtaining the programs required for modding Sudden Strike 3.

A list of the main tools and links: Probably better to install and get each program working in the same order as I have posted here.

1. Blender 2.49 (A 3d editing software with direct.x export):

Youtube full installation tutorial by Scott Engert with links here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9to_JC99n4
This is a basic installation guide and also shows the very basics of setting Blender up and how to create basic models.

Step 1: Download Blender for your particular computer type and preference here: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/
Follow the setup procedures. Blender will point you to the other setup requirements as it installs. It's fairly easy to do and the installer takes you to the necessary pages. Any problems, please ask.

2. Total Commander: A multi tool that will allow you to put models and textures into SS3 directories without having to spend time packing and unpacking them. This tool will save you hours of work.

Step.1 Locate the download and install it from here: http://www.ghisler.com/

Step.2 Its probably a good idea to create a folder on your desktop to put all of the quick links and shortcuts to the necessary programs so you can easily open them without cluttering your desktop with icons.
Glad to see you back.
Is Blender the only prog that can be used? What about 3ds Max? I have a lot of 3D models but they are max.
Many moons ago, there was a special program release for modding SS3, and only a few had access to it. I remember you had that prog. Are you going to share it?
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Its been on the download section of Sust3.de for a while now. I lost mine when I replaced my computer, so downloaded it from there. I am currently working with Blender 7 but using Blender 2.49 for this particular mod. Max can also be used and needs the Panda Direct x export tool. The steps are similar in Blender and Max. I will help as much as I possibly can.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Its been on the download section of Sust3.de for a while now. I lost mine when I replaced my computer, so downloaded it from there. I am currently working with Blender 7 but using Blender 2.49 for this particular mod. Max can also be used and needs the Panda Direct x export tool. The steps are similar in Blender and Max. I will help as much as I possibly can.
Thanks.
Looking forward for the next tutorials.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

I'll add as much as I can as I go along. Much of this is trial and error though. Youve not been in the forum long, have you just got ss3 or bought it a while ago? Did you ever try to edit the Desc files?
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:I'll add as much as I can as I go along. Much of this is trial and error though. Youve not been in the forum long, have you just got ss3 or bought it a while ago? Did you ever try to edit the Desc files?
I have been here for so long...but keep forget my log in details (and have changed email addresses many times)...and that makes you think I'm new here.
Never tried to mod ss3.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Ive had the same experiences over the years, forgetting passwords and changing emails from the useless providers to the semi useless etc. I have just worked out how to turn most units into officers etc. I did it by looking at the Batus mod and I will write up a tutorial for that also. I have managed to make some quite effective looking modern troops out of the currently available ones. I could probably rig and create an infantry model with a few weeks or perhaps months of trial and error but I have a hectic work, study and home schedule until the second week in June so I am doing what I can, when I can.

I have now got a fully functioning tank into the game with Blender. Scale is always an issue as the T-72 looks a bit small next to other tanks. You don't know how big something is going to be until you import it to the game, but once you have the first tank up and running at the correct scale with everything working as it is supposed to, you can make the next model to the first tanks scale and so on. Much quicker, much easier.

Either Blender or Max can be used to export the models. I've worked so much with Blender now that I'll go with the tutorials for that one, but to be honest the difference is all in the program layout, the export and setting up is much the same.

My current effort is:

1. Get a modern destroyer (HMS Battleaxe) that I have scratch built in Blender into the game with AA and Anti ship missiles.
2. Get a working prop driven plane into the game (in this case a Pucara)
3. Get a jet into the game (Harrier).

I am working on a Falklands map as the Falklands provides the only modern three dimensional war (Air, Sea, Land) that will show case the mod.

Have you tried any form of modding yet? Is there anything particular that you want to do then I can try to help get you there.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Ive had the same experiences over the years, forgetting passwords and changing emails from the useless providers to the semi useless etc. I have just worked out how to turn most units into officers etc. I did it by looking at the Batus mod and I will write up a tutorial for that also. I have managed to make some quite effective looking modern troops out of the currently available ones. I could probably rig and create an infantry model with a few weeks or perhaps months of trial and error but I have a hectic work, study and home schedule until the second week in June so I am doing what I can, when I can.

I have now got a fully functioning tank into the game with Blender. Scale is always an issue as the T-72 looks a bit small next to other tanks. You don't know how big something is going to be until you import it to the game, but once you have the first tank up and running at the correct scale with everything working as it is supposed to, you can make the next model to the first tanks scale and so on. Much quicker, much easier.

Either Blender or Max can be used to export the models. I've worked so much with Blender now that I'll go with the tutorials for that one, but to be honest the difference is all in the program layout, the export and setting up is much the same.

My current effort is:

1. Get a modern destroyer (HMS Battleaxe) that I have scratch built in Blender into the game with AA and Anti ship missiles.
2. Get a working prop driven plane into the game (in this case a Pucara)
3. Get a jet into the game (Harrier).

I am working on a Falklands map as the Falklands provides the only modern three dimensional war (Air, Sea, Land) that will show case the mod.

Have you tried any form of modding yet? Is there anything particular that you want to do then I can try to help get you there.
Good to know you are making progress. And off course, your priorities have to come first.

To be honest, I never modded SS3. I tried when the tools became available. At that time I approached Magic Touch and you, and it was declined. Therefore the matter was completely shelved. I do modding for SSII/SSRW.
I have units that I would like to place into SS3. But like I said, I never modded SS3 and I only use Max (2012).
If you need a specific model (but mainly Aircraft), just shout. I will provide it either in 3ds or Max. I can also get modern houses and buildings (not always related to the specific war theater).

Is SS3 game still for sale? How many SS3 are out there, 2? AFV and TLS? Lately I have been playing a few missions with a pirate copy I downloaded from the NET.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Yes they were somewhat silly days, but Magic was emphatic that we were not to forward the prog without permission, and he rarely gave it, which was in my opinion very shortsighted of Fireglow. I said all along that the easier it is to mod a game, the longer the game will live and the more money the creators will make. The proof of is that you are the third person to show interest in this mod and modding the game in general in the last month alone, which equates to three more games sales. A small drop in the ocean, but you never know, and had that been several years ago I think the game would have lasted far longer and sold a lot more!

I have dug out my old disk and even sent off for a second one as its starting to show signs of scratches and wear (they don't last forever) in case it becomes more difficult to obtain as the years go on. It's easily bought, though you have to buy the anthology, but its not costly at all:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUDDEN-STRIKE ... 4897.l4275

My advice is get the genuine version as soon as possible. I appreciate it was very difficult to get hold of a while ago, it seemed to disappear from sales but you can now also buy and download it from here: http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SS3AFV/s ... or-victory

If you can model in max then getting models into the game is very easy. Its a bit of trial and error but I will soon be doing a screen capture series of tutorials from setting up the model in Blender or Max, exporting it in Direct x, loading it up into the SS3 object editor then linking it to a desc file and reskinning it etc. I've just today modded several infantry units to make SAS, Paras, Marines and Argentine Buzo Tactico troops, plus binocular using officers. Over the last two days I scratch built a Pucara aircraft in Blender and got it into the game with props turning etc. Like I said, once you can do one of each unit, it becomes childsplay. Its just a shame this wasn't so available a few years ago. :roll:

Pucara. Low poly and WIPz texturing. The canopy could do with a bit of work, but for the game it looks absolutely fine.
Bild

If you have a low poly textured harrier, that would save me a scratch build in that area. I am working on the Falklands first, but I am also building up a bank of low poly models of other modern theatres. I am fairly good at scratch building them, and given the very low detail required for the game it takes me about a days work per tank/vehicle, but thats without putting them in game.

If you are able to do modern houses, that would be fantastic. You need to have a look at them in the editor though, because there are several damage states.

I started all of this again after playing a few games of my Warzone2 Mod for SSRW. I have also started building up infantry units for Vietnam, as I will do that straight after the Falklands units are all in. My philosophy with game modding and getting people interested again is if you build it, they will come. In any case I enjoy modding the game and playing conflicts of that era.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SSN/sudd ... e-normandy

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SSIJ/sud ... e-iwo-jima

I forgot to mention that these were added to GamersGate in 2013, around November I think. So clearly the game lives on and on!
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Yes they were somewhat silly days, but Magic was emphatic that we were not to forward the prog without permission, and he rarely gave it, which was in my opinion very shortsighted of Fireglow. I said all along that the easier it is to mod a game, the longer the game will live and the more money the creators will make. The proof of is that you are the third person to show interest in this mod and modding the game in general in the last month alone, which equates to three more games sales. A small drop in the ocean, but you never know, and had that been several years ago I think the game would have lasted far longer and sold a lot more!

I have dug out my old disk and even sent off for a second one as its starting to show signs of scratches and wear (they don't last forever) in case it becomes more difficult to obtain as the years go on. It's easily bought, though you have to buy the anthology, but its not costly at all:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUDDEN-STRIKE ... 4897.l4275

My advice is get the genuine version as soon as possible. I appreciate it was very difficult to get hold of a while ago, it seemed to disappear from sales but you can now also buy and download it from here: http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SS3AFV/s ... or-victory

If you can model in max then getting models into the game is very easy. Its a bit of trial and error but I will soon be doing a screen capture series of tutorials from setting up the model in Blender or Max, exporting it in Direct x, loading it up into the SS3 object editor then linking it to a desc file and reskinning it etc. I've just today modded several infantry units to make SAS, Paras, Marines and Argentine Buzo Tactico troops, plus binocular using officers. Over the last two days I scratch built a Pucara aircraft in Blender and got it into the game with props turning etc. Like I said, once you can do one of each unit, it becomes childsplay. Its just a shame this wasn't so available a few years ago. :roll:

Pucara. Low poly and WIPz texturing. The canopy could do with a bit of work, but for the game it looks absolutely fine.

If you have a low poly textured harrier, that would save me a scratch build in that area. I am working on the Falklands first, but I am also building up a bank of low poly models of other modern theatres. I am fairly good at scratch building them, and given the very low detail required for the game it takes me about a days work per tank/vehicle, but thats without putting them in game.

If you are able to do modern houses, that would be fantastic. You need to have a look at them in the editor though, because there are several damage states.

I started all of this again after playing a few games of my Warzone2 Mod for SSRW. I have also started building up infantry units for Vietnam, as I will do that straight after the Falklands units are all in. My philosophy with game modding and getting people interested again is if you build it, they will come. In any case I enjoy modding the game and playing conflicts of that era.
Right, I am not from the UK, therefore I don't have much knowledge of your military equipment. When you look for a specific model, in this case aircraft, you have to provide me the proper name for it. When you say Harrier, is there more than one version? (you know what I mean).
At this stage I cannot tell you much about polygons. If I get what you need, and it ends up being high poly, all you have to do is to grab the .obj file of that specific unit and make it low poly ;).
Let me look into my hard drives.
I will be back soon.
Because I mod for SSII, rarely I make low poly models.

Here is a sample of one of my units.
Dateianhänge
1.JPG
1.JPG (42.75 KiB) 19112 mal betrachtet
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SSN/sudd ... e-normandy

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SSIJ/sud ... e-iwo-jima

I forgot to mention that these were added to GamersGate in 2013, around November I think. So clearly the game lives on and on!
I am confused now. How many SS3 games are out there?
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

You shouldn't waste your time scratch building aircraft...I have plenty. Before you decide to make an aircraft, ask me first...I might have what you need.

What Pucara is that? Argentinian or Royal?

Regarding your Harrier, I have got it. Different weapons configurations and different textures (forget about poly for now). I am posting a few shots.

Different weapons configurations:
Dateianhänge
3.jpg
3.jpg (24.79 KiB) 19108 mal betrachtet
3.jpg
3.jpg (26.16 KiB) 19108 mal betrachtet
3.jpg
3.jpg (25.72 KiB) 19108 mal betrachtet
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Here are some of the camouflages I have for your RAF Harrier:
Dateianhänge
1.jpg
1.jpg (17.24 KiB) 19105 mal betrachtet
2.jpg
2.jpg (17.15 KiB) 19105 mal betrachtet
3.jpg
3.jpg (17.15 KiB) 19105 mal betrachtet
4.jpg
4.jpg (17.73 KiB) 19105 mal betrachtet
5.jpg
5.jpg (18.92 KiB) 19105 mal betrachtet
Zuletzt geändert von AWM53 am 23.04.2014, 11:25, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Now I see what Pucara is that. You tried to make an Argentinian Pucara, not the RAF one that was restaured after the war.
I have got it for you.
Dateianhänge
1.jpg
1.jpg (29.17 KiB) 19098 mal betrachtet
2.jpg
2.jpg (30.08 KiB) 19098 mal betrachtet
3.jpg
3.jpg (25.62 KiB) 19098 mal betrachtet
Antworten

Zurück zu „Sudden Strike 3 Modding und Map Editor“