SS3 Modding: Tutorial 1. Programs.

Modding, Map Editor und Scripte.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Re: SS3 Modding: Tutorial 1. Programs.

Beitrag von AWM53 »

On second thoughts...I think the Harrier I posted above is post-war. I think you need a Harrier GR3, which I will get for you.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Ah that would have saved me a few hours. Oh well. If it's not cheeky to ask then, here are a few model needs:

1. Pucara (Argentine, though can re-skin)
2. Sea Harrier
3. Harrier GR3 (Military 1980's version, UK)
4. English Electric Canberra
5. A4 Skyhawk (Argentine if possible, though can reskin)
6. Lynx Helicopter (Royal Navy)
7. Wasp Helicopter (Royal Navy)
8. Westland Wessex Helicopter

Well basically anything you have got that is here: http://britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/aircraft.html (British)
or here: http://britains-smallwars.com/Falklands ... neAirc.htm

Yes there are a lot of choices with SS3, but it's probably best to just get SS3 vanilla and the 1.4 patch for your region, then download the editors and try looking at some of the models. Total commander allows you to pack and unpack them, basically to drag new models into the game directories in a second without any unpacking as we used to do with the likes of Sue and Unsue.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Ah that would have saved me a few hours. Oh well. If it's not cheeky to ask then, here are a few model needs:

1. Pucara (Argentine, though can re-skin)
2. Sea Harrier
3. Harrier GR3 (Military 1980's version, UK)
4. English Electric Canberra
5. A4 Skyhawk (Argentine if possible, though can reskin)
6. Lynx Helicopter (Royal Navy)
7. Wasp Helicopter (Royal Navy)
8. Westland Wessex Helicopter

Well basically anything you have got that is here: http://britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/aircraft.html (British)
or here: http://britains-smallwars.com/Falklands ... neAirc.htm

Yes there are a lot of choices with SS3, but it's probably best to just get SS3 vanilla and the 1.4 patch for your region, then download the editors and try looking at some of the models. Total commander allows you to pack and unpack them, basically to drag new models into the game directories in a second without any unpacking as we used to do with the likes of Sue and Unsue.
I am still confused about SS3. I believe there is SS3: Arms for Victory and the other is SS3: The Last Stand. So, which one is the vanilla? Is there any link for the patch 1.4? Region? You mean language. (See what happens when Fireglow decided not to make the dev tools available to the public - I know zilts about the game!!!).

Regarding the Falklands aircraft - READ your PMs and email (if your email is up to date). I have sent you 2 and no reply. Now you will have 3. Meanwhile I will prepare the files for you.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

I also have this for you if you need: HMS Invincible and frigate.
Dateianhänge
HMS Invincible.jpg
HMS Invincible.jpg (20.71 KiB) 13886 mal betrachtet
Frigate.jpg
Frigate.jpg (17.82 KiB) 13886 mal betrachtet
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

AWM53 hat geschrieben:
I am still confused about SS3. I believe there is SS3: Arms for Victory and the other is SS3: The Last Stand. So, which one is the vanilla? Is there any link for the patch 1.4? Region? You mean language. (See what happens when Fireglow decided not to make the dev tools available to the public - I know zilts about the game!!!).

Regarding the Falklands aircraft - READ your PMs and email (if your email is up to date). I have sent you 2 and no reply. Now you will have 3. Meanwhile I will prepare the files for you.
Thanks, I'll check asap.

I completely agree with you about Fireglow. I think Magic had his hands tied and was very restricted. It took me about three years to get hold of the tools! A ridiculous amount of time that basically saw the game just flop. My personal feeling is that the game was plenty good enough but people buy these games, play the available missions, then if nothing new comes along, just put the disc away. The games market is flooded with very good games that just slide into history and don't hold their sales because the developers for one reason or another don't think or don't value modding and its capacity to keep sales turning over. Imagine any other line of business where people develop something then stop working on it, but give the ability for other people to keep re-making the same item for no pay, with all the profits going back to the developers!!

I wish they had just done as they claimed they were going to do in the first place, provide modding tools for the game! If you remember their promises the game was advertised as 8x8 size maps (4x4 is the max!) and tools to make new models (they released only re-skin and change current models tools initially). So I think trust in Fireglow plummeted after that. Though I do blame the rip off merchants who made games out of SS1, SS2 and SSRW then sold them, the greedy $hit$. The best we can do now that the tools are freely available is to try to resurrect the game with some decent modding.

Anyway:

Sudden Strike Arms for Victory (first SS3 3d game)
This needs to be patched according to language/region http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patc ... patch.html

Sudden Strike The Last Stand (second version)
Fixed a few bits and pieces. I am going to buy this one on Friday.

The modding tools include the editor for The Last Stand so that mods are compatible between the two.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:Tutorial 1.

4. Initialising the Object Editor [/b]

The object editor will not work immediately. You will have problems trying to load and save models. The reason is that the .ini file does not contain the appropriate directory addresses. The good news is that this is as easy to fix as "open with notepad, cut and paste, close and save".

Find the file named: "ObjectEditor.ini". Open with Notepad and ensure it contains the following:

[Settings]
FitToScreen = 1

[Mounts]
Decals=Media/Decals.pack
Descs=Media/Descs.pack
MapTextures=Media/MapTextures.pack
Models=Media/Models.pack
ModelTextures=Media/ModelTextures.pack
Particles=Media/Particles.pack
Profiles=Media/Profiles.pack
Sounds=Media/Sounds.pack

Now save the file. You should now be able to load up the game models.
1. I did fix the ObjectEditor.ini with Notepad. You did not mention that ";" must be used before each sentence. When I opened the original .ini for the first time, the ";" was there, so I assume it must be used for all the entries.
2. Do we have to unpack any stuff with total commander? I did unpack the "Models.pack" and have 3 folders. The contents in these folders are in .mdl format.
3. I can't seem to open and have a look at any model after placing the Object Editor on the same directory as per your notes. It seems I don't have the Sudden Strike 3 Editor (as you can see below). Does the SS3 Editor have its own folder? To be honest, at moment I'm using a cracked copy of SS3. I will buy the original but for now I need to test things first.
Please place some photos how to move around in the Object Editor.
Dateianhänge
ObjectEditor.ini - Notepad.jpg
ObjectEditor.ini - Notepad.jpg (41.25 KiB) 13875 mal betrachtet
Unpacked folders.jpg
Unpacked folders.jpg (30.14 KiB) 13875 mal betrachtet
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

No, don't use the ;

Just remove that for every entry, it basically tells the game to ignore that line of code.

Open the Desc.ini with notepad. Copy everything, then past it into the Object editor ini removing everything else from it. Your object editor. ini should look like this:

"[Settings]
FitToScreen = 1

[Mounts]
Decals=Media/Decals.pack
Descs=Media/Descs.pack
MapTextures=Media/MapTextures.pack
Models=Media/Models.pack
ModelTextures=Media/ModelTextures.pack
Particles=Media/Particles.pack
Profiles=Media/Profiles.pack
Sounds=Media/Sounds.pack"

Exactly that and nothing else.

Then click on the object editor and you should be able to load up models. You don't have to unpack things, but I have created a completely new folder and unpacked all of the .pack files into it so I can understand how they work so that the mod doesn't mess up anything in the game.

The HMS Invincible would save me a few days work, if its possible for me to use that model please. Any other UK or Argentine warship, or even submarines would also be very helpful indeed. I am ok for the Frigate as I've scratch built a Type 22, though it needs texturing
Bild
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Right. I fixed the OE ini.
But another day wasted...I opened the OE. I don't know how to load a model. I have tried and keep trying, but nothing happens.
Please, show me pics or give walkarounds in the EO.

I will send the HMS Invincible but there is still work to do...things to fix. The Frigate is type 23.

I sent you an Argentinian Navy Aermacchi MB326GB in 3 different formats. See if you can open/import to Blender.
There are textures, sounds and some model pics.
I think when you open/import the model, the textures do not show. You have to fix that. My gpu was RMAed to the manyfacturer for replacement and, with Easter in the middle I am still waiting. Using wife's pc but gpu is crap...can't even use Max. Using another progs to work around the files.
Let me know. Other models are on the way.
Dateianhänge
7.jpg
7.jpg (22.75 KiB) 13867 mal betrachtet
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Thanks, got the models. I am working my way through the Invincible model getting it set up for the game. Its a nice model, well on the way for being game ready. Even in its current state it will save me days of effort.

Ok, as for viewing the models. I will do a complete walk through asap. I'll make that a priority. In the meanwhile I'll try to work through whats happening.

The entire package of the editor tools must be in the same directory as the SS3 game exe.

The notepad edited .ini should not have any ; before any of the lines otherwise the game will completely ignore that line and not search in that directory.

Do you have Sudden strike loaded and working in either your Program Files or Program Files (x86) directories?
If you are running Vista, Windows7 or Windows8 then your windows security settings could be mucking things up. I had problems until I moved everything out of the program files (x86) folder into my My Documents folder under Games or whatever you want to call it. This circumvents the irritating windows security features.

This may however not be your problem. You might only have to run the programs as an administrator.

Give it a try, that might be the issue. Be careful to back everything up though.

So....

Open the Object Editor and select the folder on the top toolbar on the far left. This should open a folder with the directories:

Mobile
Mods
Object
Units

Just go into the Units one and select any unit you want. This should now display with all the gubbins required to make that particular type of object work. The directx 3d model cant be unpacked, however a directx exporter either in Blender or Max can make a 3d model to be pulled into the editor and set up to be game ready.

Let me know how you get on with this. There are a number of other hurdles to get over, but nothing is impossible, it just takes working at until you break through each barrier. A bit of practice and you'll find you can zoom through putting new stuff into the game.

Or are you talking about importing a .x model? If so it could be that the model you are trying to import is too complex, too big or literally vastly over scale. The first thing I did was make a box and texture it, then export it to directx then get it in game as a basic lump of game furniture, like a basic object, a seat or rock etc. I then gradually worked through dozens of re-scales of the same object until it matched a human standing figure. From that point I could scale everything else around it.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Thanks for your input.
Yes, I have W7 and have it installed on C Program Files (x86). I will have to re-install the lot somewhere else in "Documents", because if I follow your notes, I get a small screen folder(after clicking on that top left folder) but without any directories.
I will report back on that.

Regarding the HMS Invincible, hold your horses. I think that is the wrong carrier. I think I gave you the HMS Ark Royal...lol. Well, you are in a better position to ascertain that, but I'm sure I gave you the wrong unit.
Rather wait until I prepare this new one for you. The HMS Ark Royal is the exact same class of carrier, but it is not historically accurate. And you also score because this new model is in much better shape than the previous.
Look here for comparison:
Dateianhänge
HMS Ark Royal.jpg
HMS Ark Royal.jpg (275.51 KiB) 13848 mal betrachtet
HMS Invincible.jpg
HMS Invincible.jpg (339.19 KiB) 13848 mal betrachtet
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

Yes, you're right it is. I never noticed, I was so busy clicking and exporting to test etc.

I seem to recall when I had my game installed in program files (x86) I couldnt view directories either. That might be the problem (touch wood).
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Do me a favour, can you get a full list of UK units that participated in the Falklands please. I have so much stuff, including Navy stuff. You supplied me links for RAF. Get me something for the RN. And the same for Argentina. Thanks.
Herr_today
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Herr_today »

http://britains-smallwars.com/Falklands ... -ships.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ ... ntine_Navy

Any of these if you have them.

Also, anything for Vietnam. US, Vietnamese, French, Australian.

Infantry units are difficult though. They are a mass of difficulties, animations and so on. I have not even tried to do an infantry unit as it would take months. Once you have the object editor working you'll see what I mean.
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Herr_today hat geschrieben:http://britains-smallwars.com/Falklands ... -ships.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ ... ntine_Navy

Any of these if you have them.

Also, anything for Vietnam. US, Vietnamese, French, Australian.

Infantry units are difficult though. They are a mass of difficulties, animations and so on. I have not even tried to do an infantry unit as it would take months. Once you have the object editor working you'll see what I mean.
I was at Wiki before you pointed it out, but got a little confused, special if you are in my position, because I never did any research on that side of history.
For my SSII and future SS3 mod I have done my home work.

I will send you what I have and what I find. If the units need some kind of touch, I will leave it in your hands. I'm afraid I have nothing (3D models) on infantry.
Looking at your references, I have the following so far (ships):
Type22 Broadsword Class Frigates
Dateianhänge
HMS Boxer(92); a Batch 2 vessel, with Exocet , Sea Wolf, 40mm Bofors, 20mm Oerlikon, and triple torpedo tubes.
HMS Boxer(92); a Batch 2 vessel, with Exocet , Sea Wolf, 40mm Bofors, 20mm Oerlikon, and triple torpedo tubes.
Boxer.jpg (144.21 KiB) 13825 mal betrachtet
HMS Broadsword (F88); lead ship of the class, a Batch 1 vessel shown in original form with Exocet, Sea Wolf, 40mm Bofors and no torpedo tubes.
HMS Broadsword (F88); lead ship of the class, a Batch 1 vessel shown in original form with Exocet, Sea Wolf, 40mm Bofors and no torpedo tubes.
Broadsword.jpg (155.74 KiB) 13825 mal betrachtet
HMS Chatham (F87); a Batch 3 vessel, with 4.5in gun in lieu of Exocet, 20mm Oerlikon, twin 30mm Oerlikon, Goalkeeper CIWS, and triple torpedo tubes.
HMS Chatham (F87); a Batch 3 vessel, with 4.5in gun in lieu of Exocet, 20mm Oerlikon, twin 30mm Oerlikon, Goalkeeper CIWS, and triple torpedo tubes.
Chatham.jpg (142.07 KiB) 13825 mal betrachtet
AWM53
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Beitrag von AWM53 »

Type21 Amazon Class Frigates
Dateianhänge
Amazon.jpg
Amazon.jpg (135.45 KiB) 13824 mal betrachtet
Alacrity.jpg
Alacrity.jpg (132.17 KiB) 13824 mal betrachtet