New map: Omaha beach

Lasst hier eure RWM Maps von der Community testen !
Antworten
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

New map: Omaha beach

Beitrag von nevux »

Hi all,

I've started working on a new mp map (256x256), set in the Omaha beach area on the day of the landings.
I don't know to what degree, if any, It's somewhat onothodox design will interfere with the enjoyability/playability of the map. It's a highly experimental concept (to me at least).

An impression of the current state of the map's design:
Bild
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: New map: Omaha beach

Beitrag von nevux »

I've been tinkering a bit with the visibility settings of the cliffs to get a nice balance between protection of the axis troops on the one hand and the ability of the allied troops to engage the defensive positions of the Germans on the other hand. Using standard settings will result in a meatgrinder at the beach for the allies, as they are unable to spot and attack the axis forces until they have flanked them, which required them to advance all the way accross the beach and up the cliffs.
If the Germans deployed some mg-42s, you can imagine that any number of troops will be insufficient to achieve a succesful invasion.

As is illustrated by the image below, the area that can be observed from the beach covers roughly 40-60% of the cliff surface, depending on the position of your troops. MAybe I will decrease the visibilty behind sandbags to give them some tactical significance.

Anway, see for yourself.

Bild

PS.
I have a question: Does anyone know if it's possible to add crew to tanks inside landing boats?
-Barbarossa-
* SSM - General * (Administrator)

Beitrag von -Barbarossa- »

Very nice! Many thx that you honor the RWM Eastfront-scheme so much with ur beautifull maps! military18
Das Leben ist kein Frankreichfeldzug.
RWM auf Twitter folgen! https://twitter.com/RWM_Barbarossa
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

Thanks for the compliment Barbarossa!

I love working with the ostfront-sheme's wide variety of ground textures.. it makes landscapes so much more vivid and therefore gameplay so much more compelling.

Some more images of the Coast line:

Despite the modified visibility settings, allies will still get butchered by a few well positioned mg-42. Therefor, I consider giving the allies at least 3 times as many troops as the axis with the first round of reinforcements. The German forces however, will be much more experienced.

the mission/scenario I have in mind:

Allies will start off with nothing but paratroopers... landing will take place 15 minutes after start of the game. To support the landing troops, the allies have the opportunity to gain tank support and air-support (bombers), but these will be zeppelin-dependent, requiring the German player to capture a Flak and Arty battery inland.
I know this may come across as a bit clumsy, but its the only way i can think of to force in the element of a paratrooper dropping without it not contributing to the game in a meaningful/logic way.

To allow the German player to carefully deploy troops on the shores, the Allies landing will arrive several minutes after the german reinforcements.

The Germans will have no armour in the first 30 mins of the game, despite of whether or not the allies capture the flags that procude armour support. There will be panzerfausts, haftmines, flamethrowers, some at-guns etc though. The first tanks will arrive after approx 30 mins.

I have no idea if any of these ideas can be translated into enjoyable gameplay though.... time will tell.

More images:

Bild

Bild

Bild
Bild
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

So, what about this?

Bild

I created gun-pits (for lack of a better word), providing protection to German gun crews. The two pits are connected by trenches.
As can be observed from the above image, I've decreased the visibility of troops deployed inside the pits.
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

A little update..

Bild

adieu
Hentsch
Schütze
Schütze

Beitrag von Hentsch »

awesome.

can not wait to play it. military18
-Barbarossa-

Beitrag von -Barbarossa- »

This is really beuatifull work! Keep it going!
And....mabye send me the editor files for some more 6.8 ingame screenis ! military7
Das Leben ist kein Frankreichfeldzug.
RWM auf Twitter folgen! https://twitter.com/RWM_Barbarossa
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

While playing this map I noticed that the orientation of some of the trenches sometimes spontaniously changes when the troops inside engage the enemy. I
s this because trenches are considered to be units (given that they are filed in the unit-section of the editor) and, as a consequence, will change their orientation towards the enemy units that they engage? Or is it perhaps another crazy bug?
Antworten

Zurück zu „Map-Testbereich / Map-Test-Area (RWM Maps)“