Height differences in isometric view

Forum zum Thema Modding, um dort über "Neue Einheiten", Neue Objekte", "Modding Tools" usw zu diskutieren.
Antworten
Tijn
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Height differences in isometric view

Beitrag von Tijn »

Those interested in creating objects for a 2D isometric view are no doubt aware of the fact that creating the (illusion of) height differences has its difficulties. In Sudden Strike we are familiar with cliffs and bridges, but that's about the only option to suggest a difference in height. In a 2D isometric view, in effect everything is in one single plane only. This is why it is impossible to both cross the same bridge and go under it.

Nevertheless I have been experimenting with different objects that do no only give the impression of slopes, but are also capable of being seemlessly tiled.

Here is an image of the experiments, which I believe are promising. It is based on 6 object that allow for slopes in all directions, up and down.

By the way, If anyone knows of an isometric game that has successfully converted height differences, and which ideas we can borrow, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers
Dateianhänge
iso_height3.png
iso_height3.png (1.48 MiB) 1426 mal betrachtet
Last Soldier
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Re: Height differences in isometric view

Beitrag von Last Soldier »

There is probably no 2D game where it's solved somehow elegantly. Maybe RollerCoaster Tycoon have more complex system. Anyway it's tied with pseudo 3D terrain which makes biggest difference in the perception of terrain elevation.

If you have given inclination then you can also make sloped ground (long hill side, ramp) of different lengths into 4 directions or only parts of it.
Footage from the frontline on Youtube!
Antworten

Zurück zu „Alles zum Thema Modding“