Map info for RWM

An place for english questions !
Langemarck
Schütze
Schütze
Map info for RWM

Beitrag von Langemarck »

For a real warfare mod we need realistic maps of course, but it isn't always easy to gather all information, make the map and the script which is very long work.
That's why I thought it would be helpfull if there would be a topic that gives mappers some help from some ww2 fanatics who are active on this forum.
Langemarck
Schütze
Schütze
Beitrag von Langemarck »

And if anyone here can help me, I'm looking for some information about fall gelb, and that units that were used by the Germans to invade Belgium,French Flanders and the Netherlands.
Someone told me that the best tank used was the char b1 ,more heavy armed and panzered than any German tank at mai 1940, but which tanks did the Germans use?
Roy
Oberst
Oberst

Beitrag von Roy »

Wikipedia tells:
Alliierte
Britain
160 Mark II Matilda tanks
ca 240 Cruiser Mark IIA
ca. 240 Cruiser Mark IIIA

France
278 Renault FT-17
450( AMR)+AMC
100 FCM
900 Renault R-35
770 Hotchkiss H-39
145 D1+D2
300 Somua S-35
274 Char B1

Belgium
270 T13/T15

Netherlands
40 Landverk

Germany
523 Panzer I
955 Panzer II
349 Panzer III
278 Panzer IV
106 Panzer 35(t)
228 Panzer 38(t)

Remember that the germans tankcrew had much better training, and that the tanks are used in a more concentrated way. Germany had own tank-division, while britain and france used tanks only as infantry-support.
And Germany had the superiority in the air.
Matttheoz
Leutnant
Leutnant

Beitrag von Matttheoz »

Absolutely...better maps. Take some pressure off the modders (make that moddeR) by making realistic maps with a realistic ratio of men to tanks (yes, there were more men than tanks :wink: ) and not using tigers in 1941 and Pz Is in 1944 etc.

I'm not sure how many mappers visit our little english-speaking enclave here but if they want advice on maps and can't use the german map making sections then why not post here. We definately need more quality maps.

You are definately right about the effort involved. I've been working on a new Stalingrad 512er for 6.7 based on aerial photographs and period maps and reports for a few months already and still need a while. Hard to scale a full city and get the feel right with the limited resources in the editor and the restrictions on houses etc. Mappers definately need all the help and encouragement they can get. Good idea.
Langemarck
Schütze
Schütze
Beitrag von Langemarck »

@Roy thanks alot , although many of those units aren't available :(

@Matt thx and good luck with your map :)
Matttheoz
Leutnant
Leutnant

Beitrag von Matttheoz »

Langemarck hat geschrieben:And if anyone here can help me, I'm looking for some information about fall gelb, and that units that were used by the Germans to invade Belgium,French Flanders and the Netherlands.
Someone told me that the best tank used was the char b1 ,more heavy armed and panzered than any German tank at mai 1940, but which tanks did the Germans use?
The Char B1 was definately the strongest tank of the campaign. Its an old school tank designed for crossing trenches and owes its design to ww1 doctrines of the slow heavily armoured battle tank. The German tanks had real trouble with it. Generally the German tanks scattered and relied on calling up their towed 88s whenever a unit equipped with B1s showed up.
Roy
Oberst
Oberst

Beitrag von Roy »

Wow, yesterday on kuebels "Fall Gelb" map, i played exactly like that. Drop 88 in front of the Char :D
Lamafarmer

Beitrag von Lamafarmer »

Roy hat geschrieben:Wow, yesterday on kuebels "Fall Gelb" map, i played exactly like that. Drop 88 in front of the Char :D
Only quality my friend 8) And it's "Fall Rot", but who cares. Anyway, now that I see the unit chart again, I think I need to put in more PzIIs and maybe less PzIVs. Although it would be a little hard for the Germans to go against the Char, that's why I put them in there. But we'll see.

Btw, I dunno why it's not on the chart, but I've seen some footage of the Western Campaign where they're using StuG Bs.
Roy
Oberst
Oberst

Beitrag von Roy »

Cause Wikipedia is not a good source (for that kind of information).
LT albrecht
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Beitrag von LT albrecht »

Stug B, that's the one with the short '75 mounted in the centre of the hull right? because I was sure I've seen some of those in france 1940, btw, someone forgot this info on the PZ IIIs, they only had 37mm guns, the 50mm gun versions came about in the "desert war" and on the eastern front as far as I can tell, although the PZ III was designed for a 50mm weapon the designers were told to mount a 37mm gun that was roughly the same as the infantry AT weapon of the period, so they did and had a TWIN mg mount in the turret with it, giving it about the same firepower as a PZ I add a 37mm PAK 36.

I'm full of useful facts like that :).
we shall fight them on the beaches and on the fields, we shall fight them in the streets and we shall never surrender, because there isn't a button for that :-) ) And we wont dig fortifications until SS3 =) or after it because the bastards didn't include it...
|FrEaK|Safran
Major
Major
Beitrag von |FrEaK|Safran »

As far as i remember there were only 18 StuG`s used in France.
I think www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de tells the same.

Most german Panzerdivisions were equipped with
Panzer II
Panzer III
Panzer 38(t)

and some
Panzer I
Panzer35(t)
Panzer IV
StuG III A
In fact some PzKpfW. NbFz. VI were used :shock: [/code]
Nix Signatur, wir haben Weltwirtschaftskrise, da wird an ALLEM gespart, egal wie unsinnig es auch ist ;P
Matttheoz
Leutnant
Leutnant

Beitrag von Matttheoz »

Correct. They were StuG IIIAs (same as Bs for all intents and purposes) and only 30 saw action in France, split into 5 batteries of 6 StuGs each. 1 was attached to the Grossdeutschland and 1 to the Leibstandarte.
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Have you tried the Offsprey series of books.If you can buy them dl them pdf format.They give you a lot of info ,detailed fotos ilustrations and minute dtailed maps of battles....nad order of battle and units
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Sorry I made 2 mistakes it is Osprey not offpsrey and you can dl a lot of material for free on pdf in a good p2p programme.
I have just checked that there about 3 numbers about your subject in one of these programmes.
The reason I tell you this is because this editor gives a very comprehensive and detailed account of army and battle oprations.With excelent easy to read maps especialy if you are going to recreate a scenario and you need to put elements (houses etc ) in a more or less historical atmosphere .
Lamafarmer

Beitrag von Lamafarmer »

Thanks for both correcting your mistake and to point this series out; great find! I found a couple now and I'm reading the one about the PzIV now :D
Antworten

Zurück zu „English Sudden Strike Forum“