newbie editors guide

An place for english questions !
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

newbie editors guide

Beitrag von viriato »

Hi again .as i cant go open as far as page 1 in the normal newbie thread on this page i have to open this one to ask some questions and at the same time maybe use it as an editor newbie thread.
i see many times in the editors script box the word "cell" and terms like add (letter cell) the (number) etc.etc Can somebody tell me what it means or what is it used for?
FXH
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von FXH »

:?
It's a tough thing to explain...
You can use cells to mark some objectives done and so on.
If you use 2 or more scripts which have the same condition, e.g.

Code: Alles auswählen

Units of player player amount to less than 3 and there are more than 5 units of player enemy in location 3 or time from start the mission is more than 00:08:00
Then you may replace all this text with a cell, containing a certain value.

like this

Units of player player amount to less than 3 and there are more than 5 units of player enemy in location 3 or time from start the mission is more than 00:08:00

------------------------
Let cell C_1 contain value 1
So, in the next script, which has a lot in common with this one, you may use this:

The value of cell C_1 is exactly 1 and timer 2 is elapsed
instead of this

Units of player player amount to less than 3 and there are more than 5 units of player enemy in location 3 or time from start the mission is more than 00:08:00 and timer 1 is elapsed
The cells arent that necessary in less complicated scenarios, but when you want to enter alternate events, you can try combination of cells and their values.
Note a vaule of certain cell may be changed as many times as you want in the game, which will effect in different events... Blah blah.
Hope this will let you understand the cells a bit, as I said, it's really hard to explain it, but with a bit of training everything is possible.
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

So if i give cell cell_3 INSTEAD OF 1 a value 2 what would happen then in your situation .? Sorry i am being so naggy :wink:
FXH
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von FXH »

Well, if you gave the cell value 2 and said that
actually equals Cell 1 with a value of 1, then hmmm.. nothing will happen.
You should try it with certain scripts.
The scripts I typed wouldnt cause anything special, just wanted to let you know you can use cells to replace long scripts, which you have specified before, if you see what I'm saying :D
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Sorry i didnt explain myself before well.I mean in the situation you put before C_1 you give the value 3 instead of 1.
And after you say "the value of C_1 is "exactly" 2 ( here begins my confusion) what would happen?
I understand that you can group an action with a specific cell or "name" it but it puzzles me is the variation of the value and how it affects the condition.Sorry for being dense mentaly :)
FXH
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von FXH »

K, I'll try to explain it to you in a more practical way.
LEt's say we have a mission in which player has to take control over several strategic points. Say, there are 2 villages and one town.
The primary objective is the capture of the town.
However, if the player doesn't capture the villages first, the enemy may counterattack from the direction of villages towards the town just being besieged by the player.
Understand until this point?
So, player may not bother seizing the villages, as he wants to complete his task quick and can attack the town firstly, can't he?
It doesn't matter if the villages are conquered, the town is the principal aim and occupation of it means victory.

But, as I said, if the villages arent secure first, the enemy will counterattack instead of watching the players advance kindly.

Let's say the Cell C_1 and C_2 and C_3 are responsible for the attack.
The value of the Cell changes, as the player takes different stepps.

When the village 1 is captured, the Value of Cell C_1 is 2
When the village 2 is captured, the Value of Cell C_2 is 2
When both villages are taken, the Value of Cell C_3 is 1
When both villages are under the enemy control ( actually from the beggining of the map), the Value of Cell C_3 is 2.

Locations:
1 - Village 1
2 - Village 2
3 - Town

Now let's go to the scripting...
Also, when the enemy holds at least 1 of the villages he can counterattack. The counterattack is performed when Player reaches the town.
As we know, the enemy holds all the locations from the beggining of the map. That means the villages are not controlled by Player...

Script 1

Mission start
-----------
Turn off this trigger.
Let Cell C_3 contain value 2.
Script 2 ( capture of village 1)

There are exactly 0 units of player Enemy in location #1.
------------
Turn off this trigger.
Let Cell C_1 contain value 2.
Script 3 ( capture of village 2)

There are exactly 0 units of player Enemy in location #2.
------------
Turn off this trigger.
Let Cell C_2 contain 2.
Script 4 (both villages are captured - which means the flank of Player's advance secure)

The value of Cell C_1 is exactly 2. and The value of Cell C_2 is exactly 2.
----------------
Turn off this trigger
Let Cell C_3 contain 1
Script 5

There are more than 0 units of player Player in location #3. and The value of Cell C_3 is exactly 2.
-----------
Turn off this trigger.
Send reinforcements for player enemy....
This says that when villaes are not taken and Player enters the town (loc. 3), the enemy gets reinforcements to counterattack. Note, that if Player captures both villages, the Value of Cell C_3 is 1, which means the condition hasn't been fulfilled and therefore the enemy will not be reinforced.
Got it now? :D
You can do scripts which will have the same effect as mine, but cells are an easy way to do so, without using damn long scripts.
Dateianhänge
obraz.JPG
obraz.JPG (31.36 KiB) 8458 mal betrachtet
Matttheoz
Leutnant
Leutnant

Beitrag von Matttheoz »

LOL. Man you sure know how to ask some complicated questions viriato :lol:

Cells are just one of those things...difficult to explain, but once you've sussed them they make life so much easier. A bit like the grammar of your mother language...

Just think of them as "values" rather than "cells". Think of them as X, Y or Z etc.

When X=1 and Y=1, such and such happens.

When X=1 but Y=2, nothing happens.

Just try messing around with them. You'll get the hang of it quick :wink:

You can use them for a heap of different kinds of scripts and they make scripting much easier and quicker. Once you've sussed them you'll wonder how you ever got by without them..

@FXH: good effort :wink: you've got more patience than me...
Ich hasse nichts mehr als panzer, die in der Gegend herumstehen. Panzer müssen rollen! - Der Panzergraf, Graf von Strachwitz
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

AAAAAAAA now I think i got it ,is more like the binary system you know logic language 1 and 2 as true and false yes and no. can i use other numbers like 3 or 4 etc? as values?I am asking without even checking it yet in the editor sorry.
There are a few other questions also like force 1 and 2 etc How are they used and how to make them and a BIG question ,Why do sometimes the game crashes ?at start ,Is it due to using too many units...
For me this one is pain staking and has demoralized me many times.or enemy units you put on the map simply dissaper when you start the game and activate a cheat to see whats really happening without fog of war
Matttheoz
Leutnant
Leutnant

Beitrag von Matttheoz »

AAAAAAAA now I think i got it ,is more like the binary system you know logic language 1 and 2 as true and false yes and no.
Sort of, yeah.
can i use other numbers like 3 or 4 etc? as values?
Ofcourse. For example you can use a cell to limit how many times an action will be repeated. If you want something to only be allowed to be repeated say 15 times, add the clause "and value in cell X less than 16" to the condition and add the clause "Increase cell X by 1" to the action. Each time the action is repeated the cell value increases by increments until it reaches 16 when it will stop.
There are a few other questions also like force 1 and 2 etc How are they used and how to make them
For example, Add units from Location to Force - all units in the location will be added to a Force which can then be used as a reinforcement and be put into a location, for example to carry units over from one mission to the next during a SP campaign. Again, just mess around with them.
and a BIG question ,Why do sometimes the game crashes ?at start ,Is it due to using too many units...
lol. Heaps of stuff can cause this. Just try to make sure all your scripts are "clean" and complete and don't conflict with one another for a start...

HTH
Ich hasse nichts mehr als panzer, die in der Gegend herumstehen. Panzer müssen rollen! - Der Panzergraf, Graf von Strachwitz
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Any chance or trick for making Team A always come out gate A i mean from the same side in a multiplayer mission? hehehe i know I am bit stubborn on this one :wink:
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

I tried today an experiment but the results are uncertain.It is about the team 1 gate A matter .in the editor i added an extra infantery soldier and named it A1 not A0 as default in the first set of reiforcements for germans( Team 1) to come out in the game ,then i went to the group box and activated the automatic reinf for this particular soldier,but not going any further hoping that this would "force" the engine to this reinf and as a consequence the rest of the reinf for this team to come out the gates that i wanted in this case the west side ,I tested it a few times in internet but sometimes it doesnt work.One thing i have noticed is that if you host the game and you are the first to set team 1 you are more likely to get them come out your way.
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Here is another question (of a million) i would like to ask.
I want an enemy automatic reinforcement group ATTITUDE Behaviour NOTHING to come out and go to a location,once is more than 20 in this location changes behaviour to Attack player but only when there are 20 on a regular bases ,below 20 they go back to nothing ,can you help me ? do i use "turn of this trigger" or what.?
Another stupid question is the use of enemy trucks.If i use loaded enmy trucks in a reinf do they unload automatically in the area i want or how do i make them do so.can i use the same group number for them or do i have to give another number for them .
Lots of love and pacience :wink:
yours
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

hi again well i had a lot of pacience but no love for the prvious questions :wink: i asked with no answer.
here is one a bit more specific ."more than 2 of group Ao on location 2"
"destroy group H9 via gate A" H9 for katiuskas "destroy j9 via gate A"j9 for howitzers,the kats leave but how can i make the howies leave?
i have tried several things in group behavoir with no success even tried to make them move with truucks but they will still fire and not move as ordered.Heeelp
-gehtnix-
Oberst (Moderator)
Oberst (Moderator)

Beitrag von -gehtnix- »

files for RWM 6.7 beta 5
Dateianhänge
Howitzer 1.zip
(130.01 KiB) 305-mal heruntergeladen
Matttheoz
Leutnant
Leutnant

Beitrag von Matttheoz »

viriato hat geschrieben:I want an enemy automatic reinforcement group ATTITUDE Behaviour NOTHING to come out and go to a location,once is more than 20 in this location changes behaviour to Attack player but only when there are 20 on a regular bases ,below 20 they go back to nothing ,can you help me ? do i use "turn of this trigger" or what.?
If I got that right, you want a number of units to be sent to a staging area on a regular basis, then, once there are 20 in the zone they should attack, then, once X amount are lost, they should retreat to the staging area and absorb more reinforcements before attacking again.

If that's right, try this:

Set 5 units of group A1 as Reinforcement X.

I have set it so the reinforcements come every 30 seconds to the staging area (zone 1). Naturally you should adjust the number and frequency (timer) of the reinforcements to fit your map.

Also, you asked that they would attack when >20 and retreat when <20 but I have set it so they retreat when they are down to 10 (attacking with 20 and retreating at 19 would be a slightly "underwhelming" attack :D . Even the French would probably think it cowardly...)

SCRIPT 1

cell 1 = 0 (you can use any trigger you like here)

------------------------

let cell 1 = 1

SCRIPT 2

cell 1 = 1

------------------------

send to enemy reinforcement X into zone 1 with delay 00:00
start timer 1 to 00:30
let cell 1 = 2

SCRIPT 3

timer elapsed 1 and cell 1 = 2

------------------------

let cell 1 = 1

SCRIPT 4 (attack)

cell 1 < 3 and more than 19 units of group A1 in loc 1

------------------------

set A1 behaviour into Inf - guard loc
set A1 loc 1 into zone 2
set A1 loc 2 into zone 2
let cell 1 = 3

SCRIPT 5 (retreat)

cell 1 = 3 and active+underway units in group A1 <11

------------------------

set A1 behaviour into Inf - guard loc
set A1 loc 1 into zone 1
set A1 loc 2 into zone 1
let cell 1 = 1

NB - this script is looped -ie- it will keep repeating itself ad infinitum. If you want, you can use a second cell like I explained in a previous post to limit how many times it can repeat. Say you want it to repeat max 5 times, add "and cell 2 < 6" to the trigger of script 2; and add "increase cell 2 by 1" to the action of script 4.

Should work anyway... :lol:

viriato hat geschrieben:Another stupid question is the use of enemy trucks.If i use loaded enmy trucks in a reinf do they unload automatically in the area i want or how do i make them do so.can i use the same group number for them or do i have to give another number for them
Give them each a group of their own. Trucks = "Transport - go to location (dismount zone)". Inf = "Inf - occupy howitzers (attack zone)". Inf use "occupy howitzers" or whatever its called cos if they use "guard zone" they sometimes try to get back in the trucks.

Sry about the wait man, been kinda busy lately.

Patience man...HTH
Antworten

Zurück zu „English Sudden Strike Forum“