'Not enough gates' error?

An place for english questions !
Antworten
Jack
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

'Not enough gates' error?

Beitrag von Jack »

I am having a few problems getting my multiplayer game to run.

I have mad a really good Arnhem map (512x512), as accurate as i could get it within the limits of the editing but when i tried to test the game it came up with an error saying 'not enough gates'.

I have not put any zeps in the game, but reinforcements timed to come in when one set of units (under a group name) trigger it by entering a location. I have put all the scripting in for the units (not all the units, but about 5 reinforcements to see if it works first)

The first time i got the error i only had two gates A for British & American and B for Germans and Japanese. So i added two more gates, putting D with the allies and C with the Axis (maybe i should have put A and B together...not sure?) and still it got the same error not enough gates. the mission was done for 2-4 players and i added four gates.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Jack
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von Jack »

I tried putting A and B on one side of map and C and D on the other but still same error. I have not however put a loaction under each gate...is that needed?
Suka
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Beitrag von Suka »

correct
Jack
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von Jack »

I can now get troops to enter the game however after the intitial reinforcement the troops come out as neutral and can't be controlled. If the game is 1v1 can i have just 2 gates but do i still define what the jap-russ-and u.s.a players will be or juts define it as british and german..the only units i am actually using?
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

Jack,

I think the problem here is that you didn't configure the reinforcement triggers correctly.

In case you intend to have your reinforcements arrive at fixed times during the game, rather than in a zeppeling dependent fashion, you should simply script each reinforcement using the 'set initial reinforcements' trigger and specify the time from start of the game at which you would like them to enter the map by setting the timer.

The script for each of the sequential reinforcements should have the following structure:
First entry field:
mission start

second entry field:
end this trigger

Set initial reinforcements for player russ .. german .. etc etc with delay xx:xx:xx

If the scenario of your map has been designed for just two nations, you can simply appoint the same reinforcements to different nations. Designating german reinforcements to both german and -for instance- usa players will yield german troops for both teams this way.
You could also just mention this in the mission description, so players know they will only be able to select either Germany or Great-Britain.

Every player requires it's own gate. by consequence, a 4 player map should have a total of 4 gates (A to D) for all 4 players to be able to participate.
I'm not entirely sure how gates are coupled with team number, but my guess would be that team number and gate id (A, B, C etc.) are coupled according to order. This would mean that gate A belongs to player 1, B to player 2 etc.
To make sure the allies all arrive on the same end of the map, and axis likewise, I would juxtapose A/B and inform players in the mission description that either team 1 or 2 need to be selected for allied nations.

I'm no expert on scripting, but I have a feeling that coordinating reinforcement arrival through a location-based trigger event is not possible for mp-games. They either arrive on fixed times or after capturing and holding a zeppelin for the required amount of time.

I hope you will find my advise to be of any use.

bye.
Jack
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von Jack »

thaks nevux, very useful advice. I have not tried it yet but will do soon.
I guess i was complicating the scripting by having location triggered reinforcements, and that would explain why they wouldn't work!

I looked at using zeps but then that would go against the point of this map. I wanted an historical map, if both sides get reinforcements for capturing zeps i feel it would take away from the fact that Airborne troops fight hard up. The German player will start off with limited, low grade troops but enough to block the British drive for the bridge long enough for the heavy elite units to come into play. As the British player you must secure the drop zones for further landings and re-supply missions whilst making a push for the bridge which is the objective. The key to this mission is supplies, niether side will win with one all out attack, the british units are deft at defense as arethe SS units, so attrition like in real will be the key. So holding those LZ's long enough to keep the Division supplied will be key and just as key for the German player to drive the Brits off them.

If german units can get across the bridge in force they will prevent an allied bridgehead across the rhine, if the british hold it long enough for 2nd Army to arrive and establish a crossing then the war is all but over...that's how close it was in real.

Thanks again
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

Aha

Maybe there is a way..

You could leave out fixed reinforcements entirely (with the exception of the first wave since u will need to start off with some troops), and set them to arrive as a reward for zeppelin control only.

Place the zepps on critical positions that are of great importance according to the script of the scenario you invisioned.

For instance....place 1 zepplin on the 'landing zone' that the allies need to secure. Once secured, the allies will receive a particular amount of reinforcements (according to the settings u applied). If the germans should not receive any reinforcements for this flag, you can just appoint an insignificant number of troops (1 rifleman or something) to german players for that particular flagposition.

Im eagre to hear more about how u adress this problem.

Bye.
Jack
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von Jack »

I tried setting initial reinforcements and having troops enter with a delay...however troops that i put a delay of 1 hour and more came in within 20 mins so eventually the game crashed due to the amout of units on the map.

It's a litlle frustrating cause the map i made is really good and big. 512x512, and if i could get the scripting sorted out it would be a good mplayer game.

I may give that a go with the zeps. The landing zones could each have a zep...so each zep held brings a set of troops. A couple of zeps could bring the Airlanding Brigade straight into the game, whose job it is to hold the landing zones for further drops and supplies, with a couple of the zeps needing to be held for a much longer period of time than in usual games. This then gives the player the historical problem of holding the zones whislt still having to push on for the Bridge...and that Zep...which again must be held for a long period of time.

That could work

Thanks
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Maybe just use 2 zeps and thats it one at each entering zone or gate and get on with the game as you say...
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

About timing reiforcements better use timers more than the conventional "send inicial reinforcemys blabla bla at ...time"it doesnt seem to work after more than 40 minutes .They get bundle up.
Better use set timer 1 at 1:00
timer 1 elapsed
send reinf type blabla for blblbla with delay etc
or mission starts
set timer 1 to period 3 minutes
send reinf type blblbbbb
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

about your landing areas i dont know maybe it hasnt been tried before but set an area or zone you know with a number say number 10
then in the script put a condition for example
more than units 10 b1 in area 10
send units via flag a.but then youwill have to clasify previously britsh or at least say 20 of them as b1 and not as a0 as default .Then gates is another problem in multyplayer as becuase there is no way you can guarantee your team will come out through the gate you want!!!I have asking this question and nobody gave me an answer.I htink its got to do with the old ss engine !!!
Antworten

Zurück zu „English Sudden Strike Forum“