Battle of Berlin 1945

An place for english questions !
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Battle of Berlin 1945

Beitrag von nevux »

Hello,

I am currently working on an mp-map covering the battle of Berlin.

I would like to know your ideas on the concept of an urban-setting for an mp-map.

Maybe the claustrophobic streets are too narrow for good gameplay?

Here are several screenshots:

Bild

Bild

Bild
|FrEaK|Safran
Major
Major
Beitrag von |FrEaK|Safran »

Hey, it looks good. :wink:
What size is this map? 256²?

Perhaps you can add some debris, garbage and leaved behind stuff on the streets, that would make it more realistic. Some destroyed road blocks for example or half destroyed guns.
Nix Signatur, wir haben Weltwirtschaftskrise, da wird an ALLEM gespart, egal wie unsinnig es auch ist ;P
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

Thanks for your reply.

It's a 128x128 2 player map. (german vs soviet).

I intend to first complete the basic plan of the city design and then work on establishing a realistic atmosphere, including rubble, abanoned equipment and such.

the map is far from being complete in it's current shape and form.

bye
|FrEaK|Safran
Major
Major
Beitrag von |FrEaK|Safran »

I intend to first complete the basic plan of the city design and then work on establishing a realistic atmosphere, including rubble, abanoned equipment and such.

the map is far from being complete in it's current shape and form.
That's what I expected you to say. :wink:
I'll stay tuned :D
Nix Signatur, wir haben Weltwirtschaftskrise, da wird an ALLEM gespart, egal wie unsinnig es auch ist ;P
Suka
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Beitrag von Suka »

Maybe the claustrophobic streets are too narrow for good gameplay?
absolutly correct question cos ubran maps can be fun but only if streets are enough wide i think. U have to remember that proportions in rwm are abbstract and cities are not so dense in real. By that logic kt would be size of 3 stories building ;O. Many cities have bigger parks or platz in them also or what u think ;)
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

Stuka,

Thanks for replying to my thread.

I know the proportions sometimes appear to be a little awkward, but this is beyond my power. I would like to create some new textures and objects, ones that better fit the dimensions of the units.

I agree that a good urban map requires a delicate balance between a claustrophobic urban atmosphere and open spaces that allow for proper overview and movement of your troops.

Do you think the streets are too narrow this way?

I would expect Berlin, being a metropolitan city, to be characterized by a very compact city-plan, especially the more centrally located areas.

This map focusses on a city block that is situated near the center of the city. I do however, intend to add several parks and more open areas to enhance the maps playability and prevent a repetitive, monotone pattern in it's design.
Dendro
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Beitrag von Dendro »

It looks really cool!

But perhaps you should replace some half-destroyed buildings with comletely destroyed ones. When the Soviets arrived in Berlin, most parts of the city had been bombed by both, american and soviet bombers as well as soviet artillery barrages. This would create a more realistic feeling on the one hand and on the other, a assault with infantry and light vehicles would be possible. Just think there are enemies in every building. You could only advance with heavy armoured support that are able to destroy the buildings.

So my suggestion is to replace about 50% of the buildings with destroyed ones. Sounds kind of crazy if i read it by myself, but i guess this would create a better gameplay. Just think about it. ;)

But all in all its a really nice concept!
Hier gilt es, Schütze, deine Kunst zu zeigen.
Das Ziel ist würdig und der Preis ist groß.
- aus F. Schillers "Wilhelm Tell"
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

A screenshot of a large government building, located near the starting position of the german team.

It's the closest i can get to representing the Reichtag using the buildings in the editor, although it doesnt necessarily portray that particular building.

Bild
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

I have changed the design of the government building so that it better represents the reichstag..still no exact match.

Bild

A collapsed building, blocking the road.

Bild
Jack
Mannschaften
Mannschaften

Beitrag von Jack »

i think in the centre of Berlin there is an island with several bridges to access it. i guess the rhine flows through but not sure. Im also guessing it was there in '45?

looks good though
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

The river flowing through Berlin is the Spree. The Rhine originates in the Swiss alps and flows through (south)western germany, towards the Netherlands.

I think I will study the city-plan of the reichstag area using virtual earth, and ajust the design of the map in accordance with my findings.

I've just had a quick look at the aerial view of the reichstag area. The brandenburger tor appears to be located right next to the reichstag. I'm afraid it will be very difficult, if not impossible ,to reconstruct the tor using standard editor building models...

I could of course relocate the reichstag to a position that would exclude the position of the tor from the map, but this would require drastic alteration of the current map design due to the flow of the River Spree.
Last Soldier
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Beitrag von Last Soldier »

I made Berlin centre map before some time, this help:
http://www.geocities.com/isanders_2000/ ... ariel1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/isanders_2000/ ... tlemap.jpg

map: http://sust.wgames.eu/dokumenty/reichstag2.jpg

All main building and areas are included: Moltke bridge, Reichstag, Gestapo building, Zoo + flak tower, Brandenburg Gate, Opera, Hitler bunker..
Footage from the frontline on Youtube!
nevux
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Beitrag von nevux »

Thanks for the links soldier.

I think I'll abandon the idea of focussing on the reichstag, and will in stead stick with a more random urban setting. Berlin will however remain the theatre for this map.

Nice map btw.
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

wellI have a map made a few years ago ists bigger i you want I send it to you
viriato
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Beitrag von viriato »

Itry tosend youa photo it is made in rwm 6....the problemis that the snow flakes cannot be used I mean the textures snow are notincluded in the new rwm 67!!!! but if you are interested I send you via zep file
Dateianhänge
berlin.jpg
berlin.jpg (66.4 KiB) 8480 mal betrachtet
Antworten

Zurück zu „English Sudden Strike Forum“